Thursday, December 3, 2009

How do I make up night bottles for my baby?

I was boiling water up,putting it in the bottles,keeping them at room temperature and adding formula and reheating when needed,but have been told you are not meant to reheat boiled water.My midwife says not to make formula up and keep in fridge like you used to so am I meant to boil a kettle 3 times a night and wait for it to cool?,midwife not much help.Thankyou in advance for your time giving me any help and advice.It is my first baby.How do I make up night bottles for my baby?
the purpose of boiling the water is to kill off any harmful bacteria in the water... if you then pour it into sterilized bottles and allow them to cool so that you can later add formula that is perfectly fine... that's how almost everyone does it... there's no reason why you can't just warm it a little in a bottle warmer... that won't cause bacteria to grow becaue youve already killed the bacteria by boiling the water.





But me personally, I never boiled the water... I just use Nursey water or distilled water... fill the bottle when he's ready and add the formula... My Pediatrician told us ';If you can drink the water then he probably can drink it too'; after I asked him about what type of water is safe when it comes to boiled tap water vs. bottled nursery water or bottled spring water. . When he was first born during the spring... I used to have the bottles already made up and kept in the fridge, then I did heat them a bit in the bottle warmer... but at 3 AM I found it took too much time to warm them up... he would scream until he got it... so I just started making the bottles as he needed them by keeping a gallon at room temperature... the summer months got hot and he didn't seem to mind not having a warm bottle... now that it is August here... I gave him a couple bottles cold right outta the fridge and he liked them just the same if not more... i think it helped him to cool off.... it's been so hot here this week (90's)... So that's what we did... But Gavin was a healthy full term baby... If your baby is premature or has a compromised immune system or any other major health condition, then I would definately always boil your water first... allow it to cool and sterilize your bottles well in boiling water for 10 minutes... allow them to cool... then only make the bottles up as you need them (do not make ahead of time to keep in the fridge, as freshly made bottles of formula have less bacterial growth) and if your baby will tolerate room temp then give it that way if your baby sleeps better with a warmed bottle then get a bottle warmer w/ a timer so you don't overheat... Again my baby was healthy and full term and we are perfectly healthy and growing without boiling the water and we only sterilize bottles every other day or every three days... inbetween we just wash really good w/ soapy water. If your baby is premie or sick then definately sterilize after use... If you have any more questions feel free to ask me. Good luck with your new baby!


Angie


Mother of 4 month old and Experienced RNHow do I make up night bottles for my baby?
Once I started using formula, here was my method for making formula (I never made the bottles ahead of time).





We had a water dispenser that would dispense hot or cold water. I would put the proper amount of powder formula into a glass Pyrex beaker, and if it was an 8 oz. bottle, I would dispense 4 ounces of hot water into the beaker, stir until the powder was dissolved, and then add four ounces of cold water. When they were mixed together, it came out to the perfect temperature--not too hot, and not too cold. After testing, I poured the entire thing into the baby bottle.





If you are using a kettle to boil the water, just experiment and see what proportion of hold and cold you need to mix together to come up with the right temperature.





Some babies will take formula at room temperature, and others will not. I had one of those babies who liked his formula to be warm, so that is why I heated his.
We would boil the water and have the water measured in a few bottles, left at room temperature with caps on. Then we wouldn't add formula until he was ready to eat. We never re-heated, he would just have it at room temperature. It worked to our advantage in the long run because we never had to heat bottles for him, he would take them at room temp or even straight out of the fridge.
i pour the water in the bottle to the correct ounces at room temperature. then i pre-measure the formula powder and put it in one of those formula carrying cases (see below site). that way in the dark, all i have to do it pour the formula powder into the bottle and shake. my sons have never minded room temperature, or even cold formula. :) this takes the guess work out.





http://www.greatbabyproducts.com/Powder_鈥?/a>
Why can't you just feed your baby the bottle at room temp? That's what I've always done with my daughter. I just fill the bottles before I go to bed, add formula when she wakes up, and feed her. She doesn't mind the room temp water. I don't know if you're not supposed to reheat boiled water, I've never heard that so I can't say if that's true or not.
I always just used room temperature water with the formula. I never heated a bottle for my daughter ever. Just keep a jug of water on the counter and make up the bottle when needed. Much easier.
even though it isnt recommended, my daughter has a strong stomach and can handle this: i make up a bottle before i go to bed, and she only has one bottle a night, and i just bring it to bed with me, and when she wakes up its already ready
Go buy a gallon of Nursery water and just mix the bottle and give it to her. You don't need to heat up the water, as long as it isn't cold then your baby should take it.
i do the same thing that lisa said... i have a bottle of nursery water and the formula next to it... when he wakes up i just pour the water... pour the formula, mix it up and there you go! if its room temp theres no need to heat it.
you dont have to boil the water, they have to get used to the water anyway. just get hot water outta the sink.
Well I always gave my breast milk in a bottle. I used a bottle warmer. They are great, within a few seconds they are just the right temperature.
i use room temp bottle water.. fill the bottles and add formula wen needed

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
skin disorder