Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Any suggestion on how to make up my mind about my GCSE options? Can anyone share their experiences?

I have three option blocks and I'm completely undecided on what to take. My art teacher is encouraging me to take fine art and I'm pretty serious about picking that but thats more for enjoyment than academic. If I did choose that then I still have two options left.


Could you please share what you chose/would choose?


How much it helped you in your chosen career?


And please inclue any other information that might help me make these choices.


Thank for your time =]Any suggestion on how to make up my mind about my GCSE options? Can anyone share their experiences?
Like you, I had three options to choose, and, again like you, my art teacher pushed strongly for me to do art. I did pick it, however I thoroughly regretted this. My other options were triple science and history, both of which proved much more worthwhile for me (I am an extremely academic student though). Art is immensely time consuming as a GCSE, for some it's brilliant, but quite possibly a waste of time if you're not either truly exceptional at it (it's one of the hardest subjects to get an A* in, but one of the easiest to pass with a C), or struggle academically. I think it's always worthwhile to take one of the humanities from a career point of view. Please don't let me put you off of doing art though - it's not useless, it's just not such an ideal course as you might expect, and certainly not relaxing.Any suggestion on how to make up my mind about my GCSE options? Can anyone share their experiences?
In my year 9 choices I had more than you, but I chose:


a. french


b. extra science.


c. history


d. drama





(ict was compulsory)








Ultimately, you can pretty much do what you want in college anyway, even if you havn't really got the relevent GCSE's, so it doesn't matter tonnes and tonnes.





Im going to be taking either history or sociology at university and doing history at GCSE really inspired me, i find it fascinating.





A WORD OF ADVICE - with some university degree's they like you having a foreign language!!





If I were you, I would definately take fine art because you do need something you find enjoyable and will break up your timetable at school, you need to make sure you won't hate every lesson you go to!





Think about what you want to do when you're older too. Is there anything that relates to it?
take art! you must be a great artist if your teacher tells you to take it, and with science, maths, english, ict, pe, tutorial and the other options, you need that bit fun in the week , even if it's for two hours. DON'T TAKE DIPLOMAS. they suck. the rest is up to you enya. i think a language will be good (ask about spanish!) and maybe a media or humanities...good luck x

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
skin disorder